Thursday, July 01, 2010

Vuvuzealotry

My concert-going habits have also changed. I think I only went to three shows last year. So far this year, I've seen the Residents, Acrassicauda, and Wintersleep. Shows I'm looking forward to:

8/14/09: Mission of Burma, Raymilland, and Oh-OK (among others) at the
Athens Popfest! Raymilland's "Recordings 1979-81" is available from BDR Recordings. Linda Hopper (ex-Oh-OK) has released a new Magnapop album, Chase Park.

9/04/10: Autolux at the Masquerade! The new album
Transit Transit comes out August 3rd.

9/13/10: Pixies perform Doolittle at the Fox Theater! Hate on, haters. Maybe I can get my wife to go with me.

9/28/10: Mastodon, Deftones, and Alice in Chains at Lakewood! I'll be there with my teenage son. \m/

10/18/10: School of Seven Bells at the EARL! July 13 is the release date for their new album,
Disconnect from Desire.

SVIIB: Babelonia




Magnapop: Q-Tip

5 Comments:

At 7/01/2010 12:45 PM , Anonymous Leopold Stotch said...

Jeez I thought I was the only one.
I went to my first show in 4 years the other day (sharon jones; my buddy distributes/licenses them).
I know it's sacrilege not to like live music, but, I just get bored.
Last 2 shows I saw, Tortoise and Jamie Lidell, two acts I friggin love,however after like 4 songs I was ready to go home.

 
At 7/01/2010 1:46 PM , Blogger jonder said...

Have you always felt bored at shows, or are you just getting OLD? I have to admit that I left early during the last two concerts that I attended, but I stayed for the duration of the Residents' show. I think they had me hyp-mo-tized.

 
At 7/01/2010 5:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear about the new Magnapop record. Hooray!

 
At 7/04/2010 2:38 PM , Anonymous Leopold Stotch said...

Jonder

Y'know I've always felt partially bored at shows, going all the way back to when I was 14, and increasingly so as I got older. When I think of ALL the concerts I've been to up to now, the ones I look back on having the most fun at mostly occurred before the age of 21.
Actually some friends and mine were discussing this phenomena the other day to which one of them had a really good point;
When we were younger the shows we went to we're a bit more participative. Punk/ska/industrial/new wave concerts usually had a mosh-pit or at least had the glory of being smooshed in a crowd.
And then of course there was drugs, which can even make washing dishes a life altering epiphany, let alone going to a concert or a Rave (circa 89-91) on them.
Now, unfortunately our bodies are just too old to be jostled, squeezed or drugged to the bejesus belt.
Hence no fun, or at least not as much fun as I used to have. I'd like to be blown away by a show again, but I can't deny my nature which wants to bail after the fourth song and just go home and listen to it on the stereo.

That said I'd prolly make it through an entire Residents gig, as they put on a mean, and utterly b i z a r r e show! :-)

Happy 4th man!

LS

 
At 7/05/2010 7:30 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I hope you had a happy Fourth yourself! I suspect the same has become true for me: missing the interactivity between performer and audience. There's a part of my nature that just doesn't like crowds, and as I get older that dislike grows stronger. And I don't have the tolerance for late nights and intoxicants that I once had, though I was always a lightweight (cheap date!) I would imagine that Sharon Jones and her mighty mighty Daptones put on a powerful show, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home