Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why put the body where the body don't want to go?

It's a heartwarming tale beloved by children and their elders: the story of how the inchoate Welsh rage that was McLusky magically transformed into the inchoate Welsh rage the world now knows as Future of the Left. I never saw the former onstage, to my eternal regret. I finally saw the latter on Monday night.

Is Travels with Myself and Another better, or even much different, than the first Future of the Left album? I prepared for the show by listening to both, and they are equally filled with joy and wonder. Songs from both albums were performed at the show, minus a few of my favorites. I can't complain, but sometimes I just did.

The band is as entertaining between songs as during them. Andy Falkous furrows his brow and looks to me like Morrissey's bratty younger brother. During the final song, "Cloak the Dagger", Kelson Mathias entrusted his bass to a female audience member, and his body to the rest of the crowd, which hoisted him above their heads as Falkous methodically dismantled the drum kit (while Jack Egglestone was still playing it.)

Like a fat caterpillar into a graying butterfly, I too will soon transform: from tragic concert-going loner into tragic concert-going chaperone. My teenage son wants me to take him to his first metal shows. In the next month, we plan to see Converge, High on Fire, Mastodon, Dethklok, and iwrestledabearonce. I'm sure they will be loud and angry. Some of them are amusing, and some are humorless. But I doubt that any of them will match the intensity of rage and humor that Future of the Left brings to the live arena. It sounded something like this:

McLusky:
Falco vs the Young Canoeist (live)

4 Comments:

At 10/28/2009 12:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I came to the McLusky party late, so FotL are where it's at for me. Glad you got to see them live--I may see them Friday.

B.t.w., Dethklok should be good--Mike Keneally has been fun to watch in other contexts, I imagine he will also be good in metallic mode.

 
At 10/28/2009 7:30 PM , Blogger jonder said...

As I was once advised when I told an Australian that I was going to see Radio Birdman, "Bring your earplugs." FotL are LOUD.

 
At 10/30/2009 9:06 AM , Blogger drew.goodchild said...

I saw McLusky, maybe 4 or 5 times in London, including the live recording. As much as anything, they could be pretty sloppy. but two times, they were pretty awesome...10-4 over/out.

 
At 11/03/2009 9:19 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dad! From the looks of your blog, you'll be a concert chaperone in another ten years or so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home