Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Power to the Populace

I think the self-titled debut of the power pop band Army Navy is one of the best new records of 2008. But I was even happier to hear that Australian power pop quartet Grand Atlantic has returned with a new single, "Trip Wires" (mp3). A new album will hopefully follow in 2009.

Grand Atlantic (not to be confused with Grand Archives or Grand National) made one of my favorite albums of 2007, This Is Grand Atlantic. It was the CD that spent the most time in my car stereo. It was the one I listened to from start to finish. It was the record that cheered me up most when I needed to hear something really great. Grand Atlantic will appeal to anyone who loves power pop with crunchy chords, muscular rhythms and soaring vocal harmonies (e.g., the Posies, Teenage Fanclub, and Redd Kross).

Fans of power pop should also check out the two free holiday songs from the Pointed Sticks, "Power Pop Santa" and "Xmas Time Again" (available free from the band's website).

I was also exceedingly happy to learn that another of my very favorite bands, the Marked Men, will return in 2009 with a new album on Dirtnap called Ghosts. Their three previous albums are all highly recommended. Three new songs are streaming on the Marked Men's myspace, including "Ditch" (mp3). I hope I finally get to see this band in 2009.

4 Comments:

At 12/17/2008 10:48 PM , Blogger piehammer said...

Can I confuse them with Grand Funk Railroad?

Why don't I have any of this stuff on a CD?

 
At 12/18/2008 6:50 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Please refer to last year's mix CD, tracks "Coolite" and "Smoke + Mirrors". You may confuse at will.

 
At 12/19/2008 9:26 AM , Blogger piehammer said...

Oh, is that the one where they go; "tum te tum tum doooooooo wheeeeya!"

Or am I mistaken?

 
At 12/24/2008 4:22 PM , Blogger NĂ˜ said...

Totally off the subject...
Happy Holidaze!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home