Friday, October 17, 2008

Nothing But Turtles All the Way Down

I recently became interested in the Discworld novels of Terry Pratchett. True to my narrow range of interests, I chose to read Soul Music first. It's very funny and an enjoyable read. The fantasy genre is a reliable vehicle for social satire. I liked the idea that the Big Bang was preceded by the words, "One-two, one-two-three-four!" I especially enjoyed the character Mustrum Ridcully (Archchancellor of the Unseen University), and his conversations with Death's granddaughter Susan. Here are two samples of Pratchett's prose:
This was music that had not only escaped but had robbed a bank on the way out. It was music with its sleeves rolled up and its top button undone, raising its hat and grinning and stealing the silver. It was music that went down to the feet by way of the pelvis without paying a call on Mr. Brain.

There is something very sad about an empty dressing room. It's like a discarded pair of underpants, which it resembles in a number of respects. It's seen a lot of activity. It may have even witnessed excitement and a whole gamut of human passions. And now there's nothing much left but a faint smell.

And now for a brief kickball update: my team continues its skid with a 10-6 loss to the most pleasant opposing team we've played so far. We're now 1-3 for the season. I singled once, but was called out on a baserunning error. Last week we were rained out, and next week I will be out of town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home