Friday, October 03, 2008

Can I Kick It?

I don't write much about my personal life when I blog. I keep my pain and sadness offline, in a My Pretty Pony diary with a tiny lock. That's the way we did things back before you goddamn kids and your Web 2.0. But there is one personal secret I want to reveal here, to unburden myself to my half-dozen readers and the rest of the interweb. (Deep breath) Here goes...

I am the second baseman for a kickball team. This is one of those nationwide hipster trends of ironically appropriating kitschy pastimes from our youth, like roller derby, soapbox races and marching bands. We play once a week. Our first game was a blowout: we won 13 to 4. We've had two close losses since then. I singled and doubled in the first game, but I've struck out repeatedly since then. I'm the oldest member of my team, but I've seen a few other gray haired guys in the league.

I did make one solid defensive play this week, which helped take the game into an extra inning. But we still lost, and I was late getting downtown and missed Future of the Left. The agony of defeat: it feels about like it did when Coach Campbell smacked me in the back with a kickball when I was running the bases back in 5th grade. Mean old bastard. It's all going into my diary, you betcha.

Beachbuggy: Kicking Back
The Fall: Kicker Conspiracy
Butthole Surfers: Waiting for Jimmy to Kick

4 Comments:

At 10/08/2008 4:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/08/2008 5:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh Nooo - coach Campbell still haunts your memories! How does one locate the schedule for kickball games?

 
At 10/09/2008 2:19 PM , Blogger Disco:Very said...

I'm shocked to see that the number one kicking song of all time is not listed: "Kick Out the Jams" by the MC5. Yes, it's not exactly about kicking in a literal sense but...

 
At 10/09/2008 4:18 PM , Blogger jonder said...

Disco:Very: I thought about Paul Revere and the Raiders ("Kicks"), the Undertones ("Teenage Kicks"), and even the Exploding Hearts ("Modern Kicks"). But then I decided that I need some new kind of kick.

Linda: Not here, Mom! Don't let the cool kids see you hanging out on my blog! I'll call you later, OK?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home