Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Percolations Are Imminent

Charles Walker and the Dynamites will bring their classic funk sound to Atlanta's EARL on Friday, February 29th, and to the Melting Point in Athens on the following night (Saturday, March 1st). When I say classic funk, I mean the sound of James Brown circa 1965, with a touch of the mighty Meters. Walker is a powerful soul shouter, and the Dynamites are a nine-piece band who specialize in chicken-scratch guitar and bass-driven rhythms with a tight horn section, plus the percolating rumble of the Hammond B3 underpinning their original songs. The Dynamites' 2007 debut album, Kaboom, is highly recommended. Here's a taste -- a song appropriate to this primary season:

Charles Walker and the Dynamites: Every Time

4 Comments:

At 2/21/2008 6:31 PM , Blogger  said...

Every Time gets me, well, every time. I'm a ardent Funkateer, Charlie Walker is definitely great, those shows should be must-see on anyones list.

You ask what might be on my want list, that's kinda complicated except for #1, from your neck of the woods...Xeric/Table of Elements released a 3 double LP set of Captain Beefheart - Grow Fins rarities[1965-1982].
I have Vol.II,Trout Mask House sessions. I would love to get hold of Vol. I & III.
It was also released on John Fahey's Revenant label as a 5 CD set but I haven't been able to afford the $65 as I really would like the vinyl. The two LPs that I have cover disc 3 & 4 of the set.

You mentioned Savage Pencil's CD dub comp on Trojan, is that 40 Years, 40 Tracks, because if it is, we have a winner!

Thanks for all your kind words & support. It's been great getting to know you in the blogsphere.

 
At 2/22/2008 7:05 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Same here, Nathan. Next time I hit the Atlanta record stores, I will keep my eyes peeled for the Grow Fins lp's.

The new Trojan dub compilation curated by Savage Pencil is called Lion Vs. Dragon (or maybe Dragon Vs. Lion).

 
At 3/04/2008 4:04 AM , Blogger Jeremy Frye said...

Hey, Jon:
Thanks for the kind Eat More words.
I linked your blog to mine. Glad I found you. This'll be a nice way to keep up with you.
Talk to you soon.
--Jeremy

 
At 12/10/2008 8:40 PM , Blogger Disco D said...

can you please re-post the
Charles Walker and the Dynamites: Every Time
track, please?
my hard drive died with this on it :(

thank you

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home