Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Fest for the Rest of Us

I'm thinking about making the drive from Atlanta to Gainesville, FL for the Fest 6. Over 180 punk and metal bands from all over the map will converge upon Gainesville from October 26 to October 28 for three days and nights of club gigs and house parties. Music lovers can attend all three days for just $50.

Georgia bands venturing to the Fest this year include Savannah metal mavens Baroness; Athenian math-rockers We Versus the Shark; and one man band Matt Kurz.

The big draws for the Fest this year include reunion shows by Naked Raygun, Seaweed, and Small Brown Bike. These festivals seem to be a trend these days: Raygun is also playing Chicago's RiotFest in November (with SLF and 7Seconds); the Marked Men are at GonerFest this month; and the Figgs will hit Moonfest the same weekend as the Gainesville thing.

My goal is to see the Figgs, the Marked Men, the Riverboat Gamblers, the Ergs, the Methadones, and the High Tension Wires (who are essentially the Marked Men plus the singer from the Riverboat Gamblers). I've waited years for the Figgs to come back to Atlanta or Athens. Since they don't seem to be touring, I guess it's my turn to make a road trip.

Figgs: She's Fine
Marked Men: Fix My Brain
High Tension Wires: I Heart MAO Inhibitors

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10/11/2007 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the High Tension Wires--have indeed gone public with my sordid liking--but did not know they were related to the Marked Men. Thank you for clearing that up.

Road trip! Sounds fun.

And to address another post: I am going to see Pylon when they play here in November.

 
At 10/16/2007 12:08 PM , Blogger jonder said...

One of the guys behind the counter at my local record store says that the last Pylon show he saw was refreshing because it brought out a lot of older fans, and most of them were dancing. He said it was what he imagined the early Athens scene was like.

Wear comfortable shoes to the Mercury Lounge, Paula!

 
At 10/25/2007 2:57 PM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

The Methadones should be great. Old school punk (ala The Ramones!)

Up here in NYC we've got the Bush Tetra's this week as well as the Pylon show early next month. Femail led bands rawk!

 
At 10/25/2007 3:11 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I had no idea the Bush Tetras were back together! I've already got my ticket for the Pylon show in the ATL.

That covers album by the Methadones is really good. I especially like their version of the Jags' "Back of My Hand".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home