Friday, August 10, 2007

Go Go Gogol

The college project I mentioned last month (which I actually completed) was a study on the Russian author Nikolai Gogol. Imagine how excited I was when I heard about the band Gogol Bordello. I'll give you a hint: even more excited than I was when Disney did an episode of "Darkwing Duck" that referenced Gogol's epic Taras Bulba.

Gogol Bordello has a new album, Super Taranta, which they are promoting through TV appearances. They were on David Letterman recently, and they will be on Henry Rollins' show tonight (August 10th at 11pm EST on IFC).

I really regret that I missed Gogol Bordello's concert in Atlanta a few years ago. I have a mental list of Atlanta shows that I wish I had attended: McLusky's last tour (which brought them to Smith's Old Bar before they broke up), the Fall's show at the Masquerade (during the Infotainment tour), and You Am I's appearance at the Cotton Club. Chief among these missed opportunities was the time I was in college, visiting Atlanta during spring break with Josh and Ali. The night before we left, we saw a flyer that said the Minutemen were playing the next night. We considered staying an extra night, and I wish we had. I tried to make up for it by seeing fIREHOSE on their first tour (they opened for the Sonic Youts in Tampa), but it couldn't have been as good as seeing the late great d.boon in action.

Here's my favorite Gogol Bordello song, Bordello Kind of Guy, a/k/a "When the Trickster Starts a-Pokin'".

1 Comments:

At 8/13/2007 8:34 PM , Blogger -tom said...

I was lucky enough to see the Minutemen twice. fIREHOSE were great but definitely not the same experience live.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home