Sunday, July 08, 2007

There are some words that aren't allowed to be spoken

Muffs: No Action
Gaza Strippers: Lipstick Vogue

It's a tale of transformation and rebirth, familiar and beloved to music fans. After recording his first album with Huey Lewie's band, Elvis Costello dumped the band (and his wife) and formed the Attractions. The new band amplified the volume, tempo, and spite of his songs. In 1978, EC and the Attractions recorded This Year's Model, a classic of nerdy aggression.

Today we have two of those songs, as sung by Kim Shattuck (Muffs) and Rick Didjit (Gaza Strippers). Elvis is now on his third wife and his umpteenth album. I wouldn't want to be held to anything I said thirty years ago, but would you marry someone who once wrote, "Sometimes I think that love is just a tumor; you've got to cut it out"?

2 Comments:

At 7/09/2007 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often get more caught up in celebrities' romantic travails than I do my own, and so I already have an opinion about Elvis's third wife. I loved Cait from the Pogues, but what soothes my spinster soul is that in taking up with Diana Krall, he ended up with a woman older than this second wife. And more ambitious. There's something about it that suggests he wasn't just having a midlife crisis.

No, I don't know how this is any of my business.

Good covers, JonDerN!

 
At 7/17/2007 6:12 PM , Blogger jonder said...

At least I now know that I'm not the only one who thinks about these things. Dang, that's one more piece of useless information clogging my brain.

The more I look at the title of this post, the more I suspect the lyric is actually "There are some words they don't allow to be spoken".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home