Monday, June 25, 2007

Me and Mr. Smith

The Fall: Ludd Gang
Barbara Manning: Mark E. Smith and Brix
The Kiss Offs: Broken Fingers for Talented Singers

I awoke this morning from a dream about Mark E. Smith. He and I were sitting on swings in a playground. He offered me a drink from a bottle of clear liquor. It was either vodka or tequila. I said no, because I was already drunk and I didn't want to get sick, especially since we were on the swings. Mark laughed and called me a lightweight. I considered asking him about the words to one of his songs, but I decided that he wouldn't like being asked to explain what it meant.

Earlier in the dream, we were in an airport with a bunch of singers from other bands, and they were all singing songs that Mark had written. He liked that. Mark had a toy remote control airplane. Airport workers kept trying to take it away from him, but Mark would make the plane fly away every time they got close to it. He said, "I like to be on bad behavior." All the singers from other bands were singing a Fall song that I didn't know. It was called "Boats and Planes".

What's it mean? What's it mean?

No doubt you read all the blogs on my link list (stage right). Just in case you haven't checked on them lately, may I recommend Eric's latest podcast at Something I Learned Today, which includes cover versions of songs originally by Wire, Joy Division, Husker Du, the Dicks, and the Saints. Also, JeFf's series of thoughtful posts about the lesser-known musical output of David Bowie is well worth reading. The series starts here at The Architectural Dance Society.

6 Comments:

At 6/26/2007 12:59 AM , Blogger 2fs said...

Yow! Redesign! Thanks for the mention, by the way...but uh your links seem to have disappeared. (And what's that mysterious "24" there near the top? Part of your MES dream?)

 
At 6/26/2007 9:19 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Hell if I know what the 24 is for. I'm not a fan of the show.

What browser are you using? I've checked my links in IE6 and Firefox, and all seems to be well.

And why didn't you enter my contest (see June 4 entry)? I had you pegged to win.

 
At 6/26/2007 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm using Safari, and I see the "24" as well. Also a tiny "low battery" icon next to that. Go figure.

 
At 6/26/2007 11:32 PM , Blogger Disco:Very said...

Sweet jesus in a G string, I do so love The Kiss Offs. I need to dig out my Kiss Off singles and play them more often. I also love, of course, Mark E. Smith but that's more of a forbidden love. He never comes to me in my dreams, damnit.

 
At 7/03/2007 12:02 AM , Blogger 2fs said...

Yeah, the links are fine now. I "entered" your contest (well after the deadline I suppose) - you can see the results there. Basically, I got 11 +1 (Genesis) right - or 12, if I cheated on "Santa Claus" and said everyone did it (cuz that's true). What would I have won? Did I?

And who did the other prog track?

 
At 7/03/2007 9:39 AM , Blogger jonder said...

We're all winners, Je2f.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home