Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Desireless Hunger Is the Bier I Weave

Already it's midway through the month of March, and spring is upon us, bejabbers! I've posted nothing for almost a month, though I think about blogging every day. Just like I think about exercising, but I don't actually do it.

I have been also been mentally gathering songs that express spiritual doubt or disbelief. It's easy enough to think of songs that are sacrilegious, especially punk or metal, and there's that XTC song, of course. But what I'm after are songs that provoke thought rather than outrage. Songs that express an unshakeable faith in faithlessness. No Jesus, know peace! Here are two:

Anne McCue: Stupid

Boom Bip featuring Nina Nastasia: The Matter (of Our Discussion)

I am trying to achieve a mental state of desirelessness. Like everyone, I have my wants and needs. But in the grand scheme of things, I picture myself as a boat on the river, but without the rocking horse people and marshmallow pies. Rather, in my mind's eye I see this boat rising and falling, occasionally listing, lingering in tidepools and billabongs, being led by the current, but neither being swamped nor sunk.

7 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

billabongs

Wait, does this mean you've been smoking pot? Are you high right now, young man? Don't lie to me.

That Boom Bip song was in constant rotation in the Carino Studio Apartment of Hits about a month ago--so beautiful. I didn't realize what it was about.

It's been so long since I heard it, but isn't Joan Armatrading's "Get in Touch with Jesus" kind of a song about spiritual confusion? That album is out of print so I can't play it and find out.

 
At 3/14/2007 8:10 AM , Blogger jonder said...

You hepped me to that Armatrading song. As I remember it, she wants to contact Jesus "so he can help me to help me". I also considered Matthew Sweet's "Divine Intervention".

A billabong is like a rivulet. Get yer mind out of the gutter.

 
At 3/14/2007 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that Sam Phillips, towards the end of her Leslie Phillips/CCM phase, was writing songs about doubt, and that's what pissed off her Christian label. Sorry I can't provide titles.

 
At 3/17/2007 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon

Both songs, thanks to you, have been played a lot here at the Arnades Brooklyn compound.

You see that Anne McCue is coming to Atlanta May 19th? someplace called Smiths Old Bar.

If you do achieve desirelessness throw some my way instead of in the garbage. Or is it not like that?

 
At 3/19/2007 11:07 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Thx for the heads up about Anne McCue, Chris! She's a great guitar player as well as a singer and songwriter, and I would like to see if she is as McCute in person as she appears in pictures.

So you are coveting my desirelessness? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

 
At 3/21/2007 1:50 AM , Blogger Disco:Very said...

I'm in shock. Neither one of these songs are of the types of music I expect to hear from you. You're so multi-faceted, harking on about roller derby one minute, and posting Anne McCue tracks the next. Personally, I love that Boom Bip song without end. Also, judging from all these posts, is it OK for me to come out of the I-Actually-Like-A-Few-Joan-Armatrading-Songs Closet?

 
At 3/23/2007 10:00 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Yes, I am a man of many faucets. And many jars. Joan Armatrading may be the next Vashti Bunyan, for all I know, so come on out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home