Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Was Uncool When Uncool Wasn't Cool

Cryptograms, the new Deerhunter album, is now available on eMusic (though it isn't officially released for another week). Fans of local bands may also be interested in the new album Funny Story by the Atlanta band Cassavetes, and the 2004 and 2006 releases by the Athens band Casper and the Cookies.

Recently, eMusic also added several releases by Love Tractor. Eno fans will enjoy the cover of Love Tractor's holiday album. And over 280 reggae and dub releases from the Greensleeves label were added to eMusic during the past weekend.

A fellow blogger hepped me to next week's Ladyfest in Atlanta, and my friends at Eat More Records pointed out that International Pop Overthrow comes to Atlanta for the first time next month (though the lineup is regional, not international).

7 Comments:

At 1/17/2007 11:45 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I adore that Deerhunter record. First great album of 2007, I think.

 
At 1/18/2007 9:54 AM , Blogger Flash and Yearn said...

Hey Jon, did you catch this . . .

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/004338.html

The Hold Steady on Letterman.

 
At 1/18/2007 11:58 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Ann, I missed that! Thanks for the link.

Amy, whoever writes the banner blurbs on eMusic compared Deerhunter to Brightback Morning Light. I haven't heard the latter band. Do you think it's a valid comparison?

 
At 1/19/2007 12:17 AM , Blogger 2fs said...

This is a pretty good band, yes. Moments are kind of like, uh, late seventies Tuxedomoon playing with the Fall. Something like that. Repetitious. Droney. Dark. But kinda funny, too, in a perverse way. (Note: a commenter at the eMusic site says the files sound funny - anyone else experiencing that?)

 
At 1/24/2007 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops--you've been tagged, ManyJars.

 
At 1/24/2007 9:01 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I'm sorry, Paula. One of the weird and wacky things about me is that I never respond to those things. That's because... I was uncool when uncool wasn't cool.

 
At 1/25/2007 2:18 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Hey Jon, I don't get the BML comparison at all. I found that record rather dull.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home