Monday, November 13, 2006

Swedish Hangover

Last night, I saw the Atlanta Rollergirls All-Stars whup up on the Dixie Derby Girls from Huntsville, Alabama. It was an extremely fast-paced bout, with a lot of crashes and collisions.

Did a little post-season celebrating at one of those bars that has umpteen beers on tap. Had a Coal Porter from the Bar Harbor Brewery, and some type of high gravity stout from a brewery called Great Divide. I was hoping to sample Terrapin's coffee-infused beer, which is called Wake & Bake, but it's not available yet. Today I'm awake, and feeling a little baked.

I'm still trying to put into words (other than "amazing") my impressions of the Slits' live show from last week. More on that later. EMusic has added a bunch of titles from the British punk label Anagram (999, Blitz, Lurkers, Eater, Angelic Upstarts, Sham, GBH, and more) as well as the very twee Sarah Records. Like the Stranglers, the Vibrators took a lot of shit back in '77 because they were a bit older, and because they had learned their instruments before they got onstage. Unlike most of their peers, the Vibrators are still playing punk rock today. This song has a great chorus and all the classic signifiers: sneering vocals, hedonistic lyrics, piercing guitar, tribal drums. My college friends might remember this one from the jukebox.

The Vibrators: Flash Flash Flash

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11/13/2006 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for supporting us last night!

Wish I could've made it out to see the Slits . . .

 
At 11/13/2006 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What she said! Thanks for the support... tell all your friends about the 2007 season. See you there!!

 
At 11/13/2006 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a cool roller derby name (yet!) (give me one!), but I question your assertion that hedonistic lyrics are a signifier of punk.

 
At 11/13/2006 5:52 PM , Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I drive a black cadillac with whips and furs and roller skating girls in the back.

 
At 11/13/2006 10:41 PM , Blogger 2fs said...

Uh..."Careenin' Carino"? "Paula Maulah"? Or I still like "Superpaulafragilisticarinoladocious." No one else does.

 
At 11/14/2006 10:10 AM , Blogger jonder said...

How about "Make 'em Holla, Paula"? Hey Rollergirls (and hockey guy), thanks for stopping by!

I was trying to come up with a list of punk songs that celebrate sex, drugs, and indolence to prove my point ("Orgasm Addict", "Bring on the Nubiles", "Cranked Up Really High", "Lazy Sod", "I Feel Alright"). But then I thought that nihilism was probably more characteristic of punk lyrics than hedonism. So I concede the point, but I demand a rematch!

 
At 11/14/2006 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the namin', and the concedin' (concession?). Yeah, mebbe "nihilism" is the better word choice. An ex-b.f. of mine used to play in a hardcore band called the Nihilistics.

 
At 11/27/2006 8:31 PM , Blogger Slits Fan said...

That Slits show was amazing, and they were even better the next night in Birmingham.

 
At 11/28/2006 11:43 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Rub it in, Bobby. I'm jealous enough that you got to interview them. I have a crush on Adele.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home