Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ninety-Nine and a Half Won't Do

According to Blogger, my post yesterday was number 100 for Underneathica. And it only took almost a year to reach that mark! I may not be prolific, but I make up for it in... I don't know what. Something very special. You tell me.

At any rate, it's high time to start recycling some of the material from Underneathica's first century that newer readers may have missed. I've learned a little during the past year about ripping vinyl to mp3's, and I want to repost an improved copy of the uniquely spooky and twisted song that gives this blog its name.

Atlantans or Athenians who read this blog might be interested in a couple of unusual shows from reunited 70's groups. Turgid metal band Blue Cheer will eruptum their vincebus again at the EARL tonight (November 14th). And the band Wet Willie (featuring original singer Jimmy Hall) will play their Dixie Rock at Chip's in Winder on Friday, November 24 (the day after Thanksgiving).

You might be asking, "Jon, wasn't Wet Willie that band of Allman Brothers wannabe's with the sleazy album covers?" Well, the music that Wet Willie produced (at least in their early days) was inspired by the chicken-scratch guitar and strutting funk rhythms of the Meters and James Brown, moreso than the jazz and blues influenced Allmans or the dual-lead boogie rock of Skynyrd et al. They're probably closer in sound to Little Feat (though they lack Lowell George's sense of humor). And Wet Willie covered "Shout Bamalama" about thirty years before the Detroit Cobras. They're worth checking out.

4 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 12:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not be prolific, but I make up for it in... I don't know what. Something very special. You tell me.

A little something called...heart. (sniff!)

Congrats on 100! You don't look a blog entry over 50.

 
At 11/15/2006 7:54 AM , Blogger Michael said...

hey Jon

happy 100 - gotta celebrate these things!!

thanks for the recent link to my Ramones post

may your next 100 be as enjoyable and equivalent learning experiences

 
At 11/15/2006 11:23 AM , Blogger Happy In Bag said...

Congratulations. I never thought to look at my history until now. I turned one year old yesterday. 264 posts. I hadn't realized that I was such a freak...

 
At 11/16/2006 9:22 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Congratulations back atcha, freak. Thanks for all the good wishes. My home PC just died, so it may be awhile before I post again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home