Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Is It Ever Too Early for Chri$tma$?

We got a Christmas catalog in the mail yesterday. Sweet baby Jebus! So I'm starting my Christmas list. Richard Buckner's The Meadow just came out, and I haven't picked up Game Theory by the Roots yet. Boys and Girls in America by the Hold Steady, and Live a Little by the Pernice Brothers, will both be released on October 3. The Pernice Brothers' label is offering a bonus disc of demos if you pre-order Live a Little by September 22. Live a Little is described as more rocking than previous albums by the Pernice Brothers, and the band performs "Grudgef*ck", an old Scud Mountain Boys tune, in a style that "out-Badfingers Badfinger". That Scuds remake and several other new songs are streaming on the Pernice Brothers website.

Kelly Hogan is back ... as "Marjorie the Singing Bee" in the kiddie supergroup Wee Hairy Beasties (which also features Jon Langford as "Cyril the Karaoke Squirrel", plus Sally Timms and Devil in a Woodpile). Their debut record, Animal Crackers, is coming out on October 24 on Bloodshot Records. Here's a sweet acoustic lullaby, Toenail Moon, sung by Sally and Kelly.

Here are some shows that I have vague intentions of seeing:

9/23 (Sat.): A Tribe Called Quest at the Tabernacle.
9/30 (Sat.): the English Beat at the Variety Playhouse.
10/04 (Weds.): the Hold Steady (with Sean Na Na) at the EARL.
10/18 (Weds.): You Am I at the Mercury Lounge (NYC)
10/19 (Thurs.): You Am I at the Mercury Lounge (again)
10/22 (Sun.): Etta James at the Tabernacle.
10/29 (Sun.): the Melvins & David Yow (plus Harvey Milk) at Whirlyball.
11/04 (Sat.): the Detroit Cobras (with King Khan & BBQ) at Smith's Olde Bar.
11/08 (Weds.): the Slits (plus the Apes and SIDS) at the Drunken Unicorn.

I don't expect to see and hear all of these things. Allen Toussaint has warned me against unrealistic expectations: Am I Expecting Too Much? Love that crazy beat. Sounds like the guitarist was hitting chords with a Slinky!

7 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 1:24 PM , Anonymous Paula said...

You're coming to NYC?

 
At 9/13/2006 6:30 PM , Blogger jon manyjars said...

I have vague intentions of doing so, since You Am I are only playing NYC, Cambridge MA, and LA/SF.

 
At 9/15/2006 10:57 AM , Anonymous Chris said...

Blogboy and all around windbag jon mayonnaisejar coming to NY? Hmmm. Check your dates. The 19th is a thursday.

 
At 9/16/2006 12:31 PM , Anonymous Amy said...

The Buckner record is very nice, but not earth-shattering. I was actually going to post a track until I saw your comment on the board (think it was you) about how half the album could already be cobbled with the help of aggregators. So I decided not to. Thanks a lot! (Joking) Also, thought your O'Brien discussion was interesting because from the little I know about each of you, I would have pegged you a Tim fan and Sean a Flann. Am Tim myself.

 
At 9/17/2006 8:12 AM , Blogger jon manyjars said...

Hi, Amy! I don't think any of Richard Buckner's records are earth-shattering, except maybe Devotion + Doubt, but I am enjoying Meadow as much as his earlier records. Yes, I am the spoilsport who said that half of Meadow was already on blogs. And I am a HUGE fan of Flann O'Brien, to the point that I named my son Myles after his alter ego Myles na gCopaleen (sp?) I too thought Sean Gramaphone would have favored Flann (or Edna O'Brien, the Irish poet).

 
At 9/23/2006 1:03 AM , Blogger Slits Fan said...

Hey, I'm going to the English Beat show, too. We should meet up.

 
At 9/26/2006 7:10 AM , Blogger jon manyjars said...

I probably won't go to the English Beat show because I gotta be at work early the next morning, but we should definitely meet up at that Slits show!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home