Sunday, July 02, 2006

Watcha Gonna Do About It?

It has been said that the song "Watcha Gonna Do About It" rips off the R & B chestnut "Everybody Needs Somebody". Fair enough. Both songs have been covered a number of times. "Everybody Needs Somebody" has been butchered by the Blues Brothers, among others. "Watcha Gonna Do About It" seems to have found favor among the punks.

See how many of these you recognize without looking them up.

Watcha Gonna Do About the 1960's
Watcha Gonna Do About the 1970's
Watcha Gonna Do About the 1980's
Watcha Gonna Do About the 70's (again)

3 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the 1980s one I recognize, cuz I used to have it on a (I am old) flexidisc. It's from the Pretenders' first demo, which also features a weirdly folky "Stop your Sobbing."

My favorite version, though is by the Small Faces.

So, who were the rest by??

 
At 7/06/2006 3:29 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I think you were the one who first played me both the Pretenders' and the Small Faces' versions of these songs.
The first one from the 1970's is by the Sex Pistols, and the last one (also from the 70's) is the Pop Rivets (with Billy Childish).

 
At 7/06/2006 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, I guess that is John Lydon, eh? I was thrown by the bounciness of the backing track. Those kids and their punk rock.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home