Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Stomping with Barrence

Man, check out the lineup for the fifth annual Ponderosa Stomp, coming up early next month. They even moved the dadgum thing to Memphis because of the hurricane in Nawlins (and they will be raising money for Katrina victims). I could get there in less than a day... if I was going, that is. The Stomp moves to Number One on the list of things I'd do if I weren't a married feller with small chirrens. (Number Two, as ever, is "two chicks at once".)

Last year's Ponderosa Stomp was hosted by Barrence Whitfield. I love me some Barrence. Here are a few songs from his first two albums with the Savages.

"Bip Bop Bip" is a blazing cover of the Don Covay classic.

"Georgia Slop" was written by Jimmy McCracklin. I think Los Lobos learned this song from the Savages' version.

"Breadbox" is a frantic original written by Savages bassist Phil Lenker, with a terrific guitar solo by Peter Greenberg.

3 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 5:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice 50's style R&R, thanx

 
At 4/29/2006 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Barrance. I checked out his website at http://www.barrencewhitfield.com/home2.htm -- if only I'd know before I got married...

 
At 5/01/2006 12:38 PM , Blogger jonder said...

Barrence would be the ultimate wedding singer, no doubt. I remember reading once that he and the Savages were going to record a cover of Elvis Costello's "5ive Gears in Reverse", but I don't think they ever waxed that one. Wish they had.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home