Tuesday, April 25, 2006

One Less Blog in the Sphere (Sweet Jebus)

It saddens me when one of my favorite mp3 blogs ends. I still get mysty eyed when I think about the late great Mystical Beast. Last week I drafted a post asking for a moment of virtual silence to observe the passing of Fred Solinger's blog, Vain, Selfish and Lazy. I'm happy to learn that Fred has reconsidered his retirement. He has apparently suffered a significant loss in his personal life, which he declines to describe specifically. Despite his grief, or perhaps because of it, his writing has become sharper and stronger.

Maintaining a blog is a lot of work for little reward (for most of us, anyway). For myself, the comments make it worthwhile: I love hearing from people who are excited about the music that excites me. Fred posts prodigiously despite few comments from visitors. He doesn't try to promote himself by posting advance tracks from hip upcoming releases. He writes engagingly and well about a variety of music, new and old, as well as literature. If you haven't visited Vain, Selfish and Lazy, please do.

I don't know Fred personally, but I've been reading his blog for months. I don't think he would enjoy today's song, but I'm sure Dana (the late Mystical Beast) would dig it. Are you lurking out there somewhere, Dana? I bet Neal from Blank Crisis will remember hearing this song on Album 88. Echo Is Your Love is a band from Finland. When I heard "A Song for Sea Scouts" on the radio, I thought the singer was Japanese. This song sounds to me like a jam session between Sonic Youth and Cibo Matto. Echo Is Your Love has a new record coming out in May, and they will be starting their US tour in Atlanta (at Lenny's) on May 15!

Echo Is Your Love: A Song for Sea Scouts

6 Comments:

At 4/28/2006 12:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Mystical Beast too. It was probably the first mp3 blog I read. I actually went to college with Dana (didn't know him, though). Ekko of Berkeley Place also. Don't know what this says about a school, but it's probably not the kind of thing they put in admissions materials.

 
At 4/28/2006 11:56 AM , Blogger jonder said...

What school was it, Amy? Maybe I should send my son there. My friend Paula knows Dana (through the Loud Family listserv) and she offered to introduce me to him when I was in NYC, but we had a late night out and I think we both forgot.

 
At 5/01/2006 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vassar College.

 
At 5/07/2006 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

like UR blog. if you want to link to eachother, hit me bakc.

 
At 5/08/2006 10:52 AM , Blogger jonder said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/10/2006 1:12 PM , Blogger jonder said...

Why Ekko, we were just talking about you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home