Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Strictly for My Homies in the ATL

Every city with a live music scene in every decade of the last half century has probably had at least one band whose records never captured the passion of their live shows. In Atlanta in the early 90's, Insane Jane was one such band. Even AllMusic can guess from their records that they were "one of those bands who excelled in their live shows, but... couldn't capture the essence of their live performances in the studio."

Atlanta had a hot scene at the time. Mary My Hope was getting press in England, and Follow for Now were on the verge of big things. Michelle Malone was on Arista, Seely was on Too Pure Records, and Toenut signed to Mute. Insane Jane released their two albums for local label Sky Records, but their live shows were the shit. If you saw Insane Jane at the Point (which is now a burger bar), or the White Dot (now a drycleaner), or the Center Stage (which still hosts shows as Earthlink Live), you could feel their fire. Tom and Yellow often looked like they were pissed off at each other, and they fed their passion and rage into their music.

So what happened? Yellow (the singer) married Josh Joplin. Drummer Tim Campion joined Smoke. Tom Branch still plays his Rickenbacker occasionally with the Pencil Dix. Dunno what happened to bassist Dave Roth, but he was a great singer in his own right. This song was part of a live broadcast on WREK. It's almost eight minutes long, and it's a medley that starts with Dave singing the 13th Floor Elevators classic "You're Gonna Miss Me" then segues into Insane Jane's own "Funtone", Patti Smith's "Rock and Roll Nigger", the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams", and another song I don't know the name of (maybe an Insane Jane original?)

I dedicate this post to Georgia bloggers Blank Crisis, Cable and Tweed, Confessions of a Music Addict, Drive a Faster Car, KISS Atlanta, Squirrel Food, What We All Want, and When Apes Rule the Earth; and the expatriate Georgians at An Aquarium Drunkard and More Sweet Soul. I bid farewell to Otherwise Unavailable, MonkeySARS, and Fat Asian Baby, all of whom have stopped blogging within the past week! Trees Lounge recently featured songs about Georgia.

Insane Jane: You're Gonna Miss Me

8 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really neat blog.
Thanks for the shoutout.

 
At 3/29/2006 2:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word, I second that.

And here's to FAB, may she work in peace.

 
At 4/01/2006 8:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!
Thanks for posting this. You should come see faggot festival when we tour to atl and athens.
wasn't Coleman lewis in Insane Jane for a while?
Or am I thinking of Tim?
Probably. I remember Coleman being in Total Fury (or was it Grand Fury?)
I feel like I saw Yellow in the crowd at a bunch of shows at The Earl. But it had to be someone else.

 
At 4/01/2006 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jon! Now I know who all to link!

 
At 4/02/2006 7:39 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Hello to my homeboys and girls!Noah, you may well have seen Yellow at the EARL. Last I heard she still lives in Atlanta. I don't think Coleman played with Insane Jane, but I'm no expert. Hope y'all enjoyed the music!

 
At 5/22/2006 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, Coleman didn't play in Insane Jane, but
the fabulous Tim Campion did (yeah, he
joined Smoke later, and is believed to be
somewhere on the left coast nowadays).
I couldn't access the song (You're Gonna
Miss Me), but that medley was always my favorite
part of the set.
Thanks!
-T

 
At 5/23/2006 9:30 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Mr. Branch, was that you? Send me an email (manyjars@gmail.com) and I'll send you the track.

 
At 2/20/2007 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - HUGE Insane Jane fan here, I really miss that time.

If there is any way you could send me that song as well as anything else you might have of IJ (I have both cd's of A Green Little Pill and Each Finger) it would be greatly appreciated - I'll return the favor in any way I can.

jude@thedigitalghost.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home