Monday, March 06, 2006

Do the Detroit Cobras Take Requests?

The Detroit Cobras are well known for performing covers of obscure rhythm and blues, garage rock, soul and girl group records from the 50's and 60's. I sometimes wonder if they have a dedicated musicologist on staff, or if they rely on record nerds and crate-diggers to suggest their material. Assuming the possibility of the latter, I would like to humbly submit a song for Rachel and Maribel to cover whenever they get around to making another record. It's not that obscure: "Hungry for Love" was originally performed by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, but the version dear to my heart was recorded by the Revillos for their Rev Up album in 1980. I love the way Fay Fife tears into the chorus with her Scottish lilt, "WHAT's the use of WORRRRYIN', you don't care about the MOOOOOD I'm in". It's two minutes of pure pop bliss, and my mind's ear can easily imagine Rachel singing it Cobra-style. This isn't a purely hypothetical request; my best friend Chris says his bartender Pete knows people who know people in the Cobra braintrust, so I'm hoping that Chris can convince Pete that this song is worthy of their attention. While I'm at it, if anyone knows someone who knows Iggy Pop, can you ask him to cover Robyn Hitchcock's "America"? I think it would be a perfect song for Iggy's baritone.

Revillos: Hungry for Love

9 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 5:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon
I will ask pete. But more important, your link for the song is broken. Bad blogger. Bad blogger.

 
At 3/07/2006 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that RapidShare thing is glitchy...

 
At 3/07/2006 11:23 AM , Blogger jonder said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3/07/2006 8:06 PM , Blogger jonder said...

It's on Upload Hut now (instead of rapidshare), but now you have to left-click and go to the Upload Hut page to download it. I need to learn me some FTP.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ask your brother... he can FTP with the best of them.


Pssst... tell them the joke.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hungry, so hungry, for "two minutes of pure pop bliss," not so much for healthcare jobs info.

 
At 3/12/2006 1:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey jon -- thanks for stopping by at http://prosolarmechanics.com/PDB/. Alex & I have been lame-asses in blogging consistenly, but I finally got a post up -- and then clicked over here. Turns out we both had the Detroit Cobras on the mind...

-- Jon C

 
At 3/14/2006 4:02 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I'm glad PDB is back! It's a great looking blog, and you guys write well and have great taste in music.

 
At 3/23/2006 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool track. It reminds me soooo much of... somebody else. I can't place it though. Argh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home