Monday, February 13, 2006

Songs for Your Valentine's Day Mix

Say you want to make a Valentine's Day mix CD for your wife, and you're trying to find a song that expresses the joys inherent to the marital partnership. There just aren't that many out there. Here's one from P.Hux that will fit the bill. Parthenon Huxley (born Rick Miller) had a single under the name Rick Rock ("Buddha Buddha"), a couple albums by his bands P.Hux and VeG, as well as releasing solo records under the Parthenon Huxley name. He also leads the Electric Light Orchestra (you heard me, ELO) in Jeff Lynne's absence. "Simple Things" is pure, pulse-raising power pop. (High on my want list is the Badfinger tribute CD Come and Get It, which includes P.Hux.) I would also recommend the song "Valentine's Day" by Steve Earle for your mix CD.

Here's a song you can use on an anniversary mix (along with the smoove "Anniversary" by Toni Tony Tone). While I am a great fan of the music that Tim Rogers makes with Australian band You Am I, his side projects have gotten progressively worse. What Rhymes with Cars and Girls was great; the solo disc that came as a bonus with You Am I's Dress Me Slowly was sort of self-indulgent; the first Temperance Union CD was not so good; and I don't plan on getting the two new ones. Anyway, this is a great song from Cars and Girls that name checks Deborah Kerr; it has a tasteful horn solo; and Tim uses the Australian slang word "shickered", which I'm told is equivalent to "f**ked up" or "s**tfaced". Tim wears his influences on his sleeve, and his Paul Westerberg fandom is obvious on this "Swinging Party" style track, which is fine by me.

P.Hux: Simple Things

Buy P.Hux records here

Tim Rogers and the Twin Set: Happy Anniversary

2 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

High on my want list is the Badfinger tribute CD Come and Get It, which includes P.Hux

I gots that. If I can find it, I'll make you a copy with my brand-new CD burner.

Am I in trouble now?

 
At 2/13/2006 4:37 PM , Blogger jonder said...

You certainly won't be in trouble with me, but we both might be in line for a stern rebuke from Mr. Huxley.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home