Friday, February 10, 2006

From Red Five to Redd Kross

I have followed Redd Kross as they morphed from a bratty punk band into their Manson Family and NY Dolls fixations, their metal phase, and their later power pop days. The Third Eye album is a personal favorite, and "Where I Am Today" is an all-time Top Ten on the mixtapes I’ve made. As my wife and I have grown older, our tastes have diverged to the point that the only things we can agree on are the records we listened to when we first got together: Green Mind, Nothing’s Shocking, Surfer Rosa, All Fools’ Day, this Redd Kross album, and Ultraprophets of Thee Psychic Revolution by the band Christmas. If you don’t like Christmas or Redd Kross, I don’t want to hear about it.

This song is so perfect. The money note is when Steve McDonald’s bass leaps an octave just before the guitar solo, and Jeff McDonald says, “Whoo!” I get goosebumps every time. Redd Kross should have made it with this 1990 album (released on Atlantic, now out of print). The songs include tributes to Shonen Knife and Planet of the Apes (“Zira”); an homage to bubblegum music; and the theme song to the McDonald brothers’ feature film 1976 (with lead guitarist Robert Hecker’s eerily perfect Paul Stanley impression: “You know you gotta boogie cuz yer platforms are FIIINE”). The unclothed woman on the album cover is Sofia Coppola.

Redd Kross: Where I Am Today

4 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

although I'm unqulaified to comment on music as such, I can offer this up:

http://www.audioturntable.com/

 
At 2/13/2006 4:36 PM , Blogger jonder said...

Wow, all that for less than ten thousand dollars.

 
At 11/19/2009 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Annie's Gone" from "Third Eye" was written by Michael Cudahy of Christmas! Synchronicity!

 
At 11/23/2009 12:49 PM , Blogger jonder said...

I think I knew that once... Merry Krossmas!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home